Tuesday 1 August 2017

Interceding

As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it and said, "If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace - but now it is hidden from your eyes."
Luke 19.41,42


Jesus is making a "triumphal entry" into Jerusalem. Why, then, does He weep over the city? I think, even at this time of apparent jubilation, He sees the hearts of the people and how they will be swayed by the wiles of the self-seeking and self-preserving leaders, both religious and secular.

He proceeds to prophesy a coming against Jerusalem of their enemies who will build a siege embankment around the city, dash the people to the ground, and not leave one stone on another (v44). And the reason He states: "because you did not recognise the time of God's coming to you." Jerusalem was besieged by the Romans in 70AD. The temple was destroyed, the city ravaged, and the people enslaved and dispersed.

Today, Jesus - in glory - intercedes for those who come to God through Him (Heb. 7.25). The words of the letter say he is able to save (them) completely. Jesus was the answer when He entered Jerusalem all those centuries ago, but the people rejected Him. Jesus is the answer today. Jesus is the only answer. How many, I wonder, will be alert to this reality and respond to it positively, sincerely and lastingly? How many, like those in Jerusalem so long ago, will not recognise the time of God's coming?

The writer to the Hebrews tells me that Jesus intercedes for them. I dare to add my intercession to His.



Lord Jesus,
I hear You cry out today for the lost. I hold to the reality that the Lord's desire is for none to perish, but everyone to come to repentance (2 Peter 3.9).
I humbly add my voice to Yours. I cry out for those who are caught up in worldly matters, whose focus seems to be on material prosperity and desires of the flesh. I speak to the Father and I say, 'Lord God, I ask You to draw these people to Jesus. Draw them to Him, and let Him bring them to You. Be active on this earth in Holy Spirit power. Let the world experience the majesty, power and love of the Holy Trinity. Let people everywhere turn to You and experience the beauty and joy of love itself. Let them willingly receive the promise of glorious eternal life. I ask this in Jesus; name.'    Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment