Monday 7 August 2017

Dew

“The seed will grow well, the vine will yield its fruit, the ground will produce its crops, and the heavens will drop their dew. I will give all these things as an inheritance to the remnant of this people.”                                                                               Zech. 8.12


God promises to return to Jerusalem. He will reclaim it for Himself. He will save His people from the countries of the east and the west (v7). He will bless His people; the streets will be filled with boys and girls playing and men and women of ripe old age will sit out.

God promises fruit from the vine and crops from the ground. He tells that the heavens will drop their dew. In Scripture, dew is a great blessing. I am mindful of a verse from Psalm 133 where unity in the body is compared with the dew of Hermon falling on Mount Zion (Ps. 133.3). Mount Zion is God’s holy mountain in Jerusalem. Mount Hermon in the north of Israel experiences profuse dews that richly enhance the ground.

Dew brings life, and I dare to say it brings life abundantly. Jesus brings the dew of resurrection life. His blessing falls rather like the dew of Hermon on Mount Zion. The driest, hungriest individual is renewed, refreshed, yes- reborn in the dew of resurrected life that Jesus brings.

I see the Holy Trinity at work in the “dew blessing”. No one comes to Jesus but by the Father drawing them (John 6.44). Jesus, in turn, leads to the Father (John 14.6). And the Holy Spirit works in the individual preparing then to receive the wonder and blessing of salvation.

I feel to ask today for more “dew” to refresh me, to enliven and animate me, and to strengthen me. I ask also for those who may not yet have received the dew.



Precious Lord,
I thank You for the dew. I ask today, not selfishly, for more refreshing, life-giving dew. As I receive, I promise to give out, to share the blessing freely and willingly.
I pray also for souls who do not know the blessing of salvation. May they be prepared by the Holy Spirit, drawn by the Father, and led to receive Jesus and the blessing of dew.        Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment