Sunday 27 August 2017

Choice

For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things.                  Phil. 3.18,19


We are offered a clear choice between the things of heaven and earthly things. Paul here touches on the things of the earth and, as I observe society today, I see much of what he is talking about.

In some quarters resistance and opposition to the cross of Christ are extreme. Some people are so vitriolic and belligerent that I wonder exactly what has been their experience that sets them on so negative and antagonistic an approach. There seems to be much behaviour that leads ultimately to destruction. The opposite is derided, ridiculed and labelled as goody-goody, party-pooping and spoil-sport approaches.

The believer may struggle from time to time with earthly trials. I have this experience myself, and I’m sometimes torn because the line between what is right and what is not can often be very thin, and quite feint. But if I fix my eyes on Him I will see the way forward. Each day I need to make my decision to follow Christ. I must lay down my life daily. This is a conscious action. As I start the day in this way, I fit myself to go forward and, as I progress through the day, I keep my eyes fixed on Him.



Lord God,
I lay my life before You today. I take up the cross that I am called to bear in Christ. I fix my eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of my faith. I look to You to lead me through. I place my trust in You.             Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment