Thursday 31 August 2017

Disagreement

I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to agree with each other in the Lord. Yes, and I ask you, loyal yokefellow, help these women who have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.                                                                                 Phil. 4.2,3


There has been disagreement between two workers and believers. Paul does not state so explicitly, but I wonder if this disagreement has led to division in the community.

Paul sees the good work that both these women have done (contended at my side in the cause of the gospel) and he urges them to deal with their differences so that the good work may proceed and not be tainted. In this he exhorts those close to the two women to help them, to work together for reconciliation and agreement.

Paul’s plea is for unity, harmony and co-operation. These things are as important today as they ever were. I think the greatest dis-service to God and His love and grace comes from within the church when the body bickers, disagrees and brings division in its own state.

I cry out with Paul for disagreements to be resolved and for division to be avoided. In its place I urge harmonious working together to unity of purpose and a blending of all personalities and individuals into a family of love and grace. I believe this to be God’s way. He extends grace to me, and He would have me be gracious to all with whom I am associated.



Loving God,
I ask You to guide me in ways of grace and love. May I seek unity, co-operation and harmony as I journey the road before me. Use me, if You will, to work for these things with others. I pray this in Jesus’ name.                Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment