Thursday 17 August 2017

Loss...and gain

What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ.                                                                                            Phil. 3.8


Paul here makes what I consider to be the ultimate statement: nothing, but nothing compares with Jesus.

If I were to seemingly lose everything, I would get by as long as I had Jesus. Indeed, I would do more than merely “get by”. I would flourish, living the richest life in Him. The quality of my life does not depend, fortunately, on the trappings with which I might surround myself. The quality comes forth in my life when I am alone with Him. He is my Lord, and He is the love of my life.

Love of Jesus caused Paul to lose “all things”. I don’t think I have suffered loss, and certainly not to the extent that Paul did. But even if I should, I have a sensing that it would not unduly concern me. Rather, I think, it would draw me closer to Him. He is my all, my everything. And He is there for me, in the fullest measure I can experience in my limited earthly state, and at all times.

I need never be alone when I embrace Jesus. I need never feel loneliness, and I haven’t – in all the years since God wonderfully told me my relationship would be with Him. How blessed I am! Hallelujah!



Lord Jesus,
I am ever grateful that You came to me, that You saved me. I receive You as my Lord, and as my dearest friend. I give You my all. Take it please and use it in whatever way You choose.
May my life be enriched as our relationship deepens. I thank You. I love You.          Amen.







My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment