Sunday 13 August 2017

Repetition

Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord! It is no trouble for me to write the same things to you again, and it is a safeguard for you.                                                   Phil. 3.1


Paul is about to repeat things he has said before, maybe in an earlier letter or when he was personally in Philippi. Repetition is a way of stressing something that is important. Paul knew this.

God also uses the device of repetition. I take particular notice of anything that is contained within all four gospels. My view is that God most certainly wants me to get hold of what He might be saying if He mentions it four times!

Pauls sees repetition, not only as a reminder, but also as a safeguard. If we clearly see the truth and diligently hold to it, we safeguard ourselves against ill.

Paul also shares a wonderful way to do this: Rejoice in the Lord! As I give myself to God in rejoicing, I focus on Him. In this focus I am touched by Him, He draws me to Himself. I am strengthened, and those things that might tempt me away from Him and into sin diminish in power. I look to Him and I choose to see Him, in all things. This is exciting! This is indeed reason to rejoice, to be glad, and to worship him with all of my being.



Lord, Mighty God,
You are wonderful beyond imagination. I exult in the relationship into which You have drawn me. I look to You; I focus my whole self on You. May I see You in all things. May I be led by You in everything.

I rejoice in You. You are wonderful beyond all wonders. You are Love, and You shower me with Your love. I respond, Lord. I receive and I give myself into Your service. May I walk with You at all times.                    Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment