Saturday 5 August 2017

Relations

… for he has been longing for all of you, and has been distressed because you heard he was ill.                                                                                                                                     Phil. 2.26


There is relationship again in this verse. This time it’s Epaphroditus’ relationship with the Philippians. They were the family, the family of believers into which God had knitted him. He had gone, willingly I’m sure, at their behest and on their behalf to care for Paul in his confinement.  

But he was missing his friends, his family in God. He became ill and got quite distressed that the Philippians had heard of his illness – how natural is that? When we love people we want them to be spared any anguish, especially when it concerns ourselves. Epaphroditus likely would have concealed his illness in order not to upset his friends.

Now he is better. I think also that Paul’s situation has somehow improved. He is talking of sending Epaphroditus back to his people, he speaks of releasing Timothy to visit them, and even hints that he might come himself.

Nobody lives unto themselves alone. We were created into relationship and are intended to live so. We are at our best when in good, healthy, satisfying relations with others.

I thank God for the wonderful family He has given me, both natural and spiritual. I cherish each one of them.



Loving God,

I thank You for all those You have drawn me into relationship with. I pray for each and every relationship. May they strengthen and grow deeper.
I pray also for new relationships, that I may join with others and share with them the love and blessing of connecting.
I thank You for my most precious relationship, the one I have with You.                   Amen.






My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment