Friday 25 August 2017

Team

Join with others in following my example, brothers, and take note of those who live according to the pattern we gave you.                                                           Phil. 3.17


By these words I see Paul encouraging the body of Christ. He exhorts us to join together and follow the example of a Christ-motivated and Christ-filled life. He further encourages us to seek out and take especial note of those who live good and Godly lives, to see them as examples and inspirations to us.

We live in community. Much of the community today is self-seeking and not particularly motivated to look out for others. In many quarters God is sneered at if not totally forgotten. Jesus Christ is a popular blasphemy on the lips of unbelievers. Not only ought believers not assume any of these practices, but we should shun them and replace them with a good example.

I doubt that it was any easier for Paul to do in his day than it would be for me to do today. Paul, it seems, couldn’t help himself. His right demeanour and behaviour arose directly from his devotion to Christ. This, I truly believe, is the only way. I will struggle if I seek to live right in my own strength. I will struggle, and likely fail. If I fix my eyes on Jesus it may not necessarily appear easier for me to live right, but I will know His strength holding me and leading me on. It becomes a team effort – and what a team!



O Holy Lord,
I look to You. You are my way and my destination. You are my life and my all. You have set me the most perfect example to follow. Be with me in the onward journey. Lead me in hope to that most precious destination. Enjoy me as we travel together, in Your most precious name I ask.           Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment