Wednesday 9 August 2017

God's mercy

He was indeed so ill that he nearly died. But God had mercy on him, and not only on him but on me also, so that I would not have one sorrow after another.             Phil. 2.27


God’s act in the life of one person can also impact others, maybe one, or more.

Epaphroditus was so ill that he nearly died. He had gone to Paul in order to support him and care for him. If he had died Paul would have lost that valued help, and likely been affected by the death of a loyal friend who had come to his aid.

But God had other plans. He spared Epaphroditus’ life and restored him to health. Paul was helped to the point where he could recommend Epaphroditus’ return to Philippi, to the friends he was missing and whom he longed to see, and who would be delighted to see him.

God’s mercy is borne out through his grace. In another letter Paul reminds us of the sufficiency of God’s grace (2 Cor. 12.9). In the mercy and grace of God I will find all I need to succour and strengthen me. I press in to God; I lean on Him, for He is all I need and all I want. He restored Epaphroditus to health, to ongoing friendship and the ability to minister to Paul and, eventually, to the joyous return to his friends at Philippi. God is able to take care of my every need if I will allow Him. And I most certainly will!



Lord God,
I look to You for my very life. I seek to live under Your leading, Your mercy and Your grace.
As Paul and the Philippians were also blessed by the mercy You extended to Epaphroditus, may others benefit from Your involvement and activity in my life.
I love You, Lord. Receive my love.            Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment