Friday 11 August 2017

Lawlessness

So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.                                                                  2 Thess. 2.15


Paul writes to the Thessalonians about the glorious return of Christ to claim His people and establish His kingdom on earth. He warns, however that, before He returns, the man of lawlessness will appear. He will exalt himself above all that is holy. People will be led into lawlessness, but Jesus, the Christ, will overthrow the lawless one. Those who have been deceived into lawlessness will perish, for they have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

Pau then gives the encouragement I have noted above. I believe the teachings he refers to are those of the Holy Scriptures. These are available to any who will turn to them. And our wonderful God gives understanding as we ask for it.

I perceive a growing of lawlessness in the world today. In the span of my life, so much has changed. People appear to be more self-centred and selfish than ever before. Events are unfolding on the world stage that simply shouldn’t be happening. God is very much on the back burner if, indeed, He’s in the kitchen at all!

I sense the general motivation is “What do I want?” I would prefer if this was, “God, what do You want?” I am not faultless, but I try to live to God’s agenda and not my own. I am encouraged and strengthened by Paul’s further words:
         May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word. (vv 16,17)



Lord God,
I pray these words of Paul for myself. I open my heart to Your encouragement. I open the whole of me to You strengthening of me in every good deed and word. I thank You. I love You.           Amen.







My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment