Sunday 30 July 2017

Relationship

But I think it is necessary to send back to you Epaphroditus, my brother, fellow-worker and fellow-soldier, who is also your messenger, whom you sent to take care of my needs.                                                                                                                   Phil. 2.25


As Paul describes Epaphroditus, he discloses a host of relationships. To Paul, Epaphroditus is firstly a brother, a close and special relationship. He is also a fellow-worker and a fellow-soldier. In the time that Epaphroditus has been with Paul, they have connected in the bond of brotherhood and they have worked together in the ministry of the gospel and the sustaining of themselves and the ministry.

Paul tells us also that Epaphroditus is the messenger of the Philippians. They sent him specifically to Paul to take care of his needs. This speaks further of relationship, this time between Epaphroditus and the Philippian believers. I’m assuming the faithful at Philippi would have been most careful in appointing a messenger to attend and care for Paul. I see an expression of their trust in Epaphroditus, and an acknowledgment of his ability, his care and his willingness to go to Paul as his brother and work in fellowship with him.

Finally, the fact of the Philippians sending Epaphroditus to Paul indicated the deep and caring relationship that these believers undoubtedly shared with the apostle. I sense a mutual love as Paul earnestly wants to connect with them.

I marvel at the joy of relationships, especially those sweet relationships founded in God.



Dear God,

I thank You for the many relationships I am privileged to enjoy. I ask Your blessing on each one of them, in Jesus’ name.    Amen.







My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment