Friday 14 July 2017

Rebuilt

They said to me, "Those who survived the exile and are back in the province are in great trouble and disgrace. The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its gates have been burned with fire."           Neh. 1.3


Nehemiah was in captivity in Susa. He was cupbearer to the king, I believe an esteemed position. His beloved Jerusalem was in ruins. One of his brothers, Hanani, came to Susa with some other men from Judah. Their news to Nehemiah was not encouraging. Nehemiah was devastated: When I heard these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before  the God of heaven (v4). Nehemiah pleaded before God on behalf of the sinning Israelites. He asked God to give him favour with the king.
The king spoke with Nehemiah. Nehemiah asked God to give him the right answers for the king. When Nehemiah explained his concern for Jerusalem, the king released him to return to Jerusalem, with others, and to rebuild the city. In time, and with many hindrances to contend with, Nehemiah achieved his goal. He prayed through every step of the process.
It is only a matter of days since I was in my beloved Assisi. There I was reminded of the remarkable story of Francis whose work for God began when he heard Jesus say to him, "Rebuild my house." At the time Francis was in the derelict chapel of San Damiano. He first thought Jesus was asking him to rebuild San Damiano. He did so, together with several other ruined churches. Francis started by rebuilding churches, by the time he died he had rebuilt "the Church".
I can say that God has rebuilt my life. Since I responded to His invitation my life has changed completely. I have also seen other lives rebuilt by God. In some cases God had graciously involved me in the process.
And so,  today, as I reflect on things past, I give myself, willingly, to the future. God has made me. I am His. Whatever He will of me in the future, I am willing.



Lord God,
I thank You for this insight into rebuilding. I thank You for Nehemiah's work of restoration in Jerusalem. I thank You for Francis and the rebuilding of Your church in the Middle Ages. I thank You for the rebuilding You have done in me, and how You have used me in the rebuilding of other lives.
I give myself willingly to the ongoing journey. May the rebuilding continue - in myself and in others. Hallelujah!      Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment