Wednesday 19 July 2017

Kindness

But when the kindness and love of God our Saviour appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, who he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Saviour, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.      Titus 3.4-7


There are many positive descriptions in this short excerpt from Paul's letter to Titus. He describes our fortunate treatment in relationship with God. God reaches out to us in kindness and love. He saved us because of His mercy. We are not saved by any righteous deserving of our own. Indeed, I doubt if we might ever be able to say that we are "deserving" because of any aspect of worth in us. We are saved by the love, kindness and mercy of God alone. He washes us in rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, the Spirit that He poured out on us through Jesus, justifying us by His grace to become His heirs and to hold the hope of eternal life. These things He did with the utmost generosity. This is our God! His love for us, and all the wonderful qualities that attach to that love, bind us to Him in the sweetest and most wonderful way.
I sense, however, a further learning in these words of Paul. I am mindful of Jesus' words "Come,  follow me." Paul has described characteristics of Jesus. I sense Jesus speak to me and say, "Come, follow me. You see how I am, and I invite you to adopt my characteristics for yourself. Take upon you my kindness and love; when you reach out to anyone in my name, do so generously, demonstrating generosity of Spirit in all things. I have extended grace to you, I ask you to do likewise to others."


Lord Jesus,
I am mindful of Your words to me of some years ago to "be gracious". I am not always gracious towards others. Please forgive me. Hear my desire to follow You, to become more like You as I live and reach out to others. I ask for the growing of a generous nature in me. I ask further for daily opportunities to live out of generosity, to reach out to others in all the good qualities that are identified in You. I thank You for every opportunity You afford me.    Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment