Wednesday 5 July 2017

Pruning

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful."       John 15.1,2


Yet again, like so many other extracts from God's Word, a simple few verses can yield so much to anyone who gives themselves to revelation.
The first thing Jesus does for me in these verses is to give me an assurance that He is the true vine. His listeners of the day may well have heard others say they were the Messiah, the anointed one. They lived in times of expectation of a Messiah coming. How many, I wonder, saw the truth in Jesus? And how many today heed the truth that Jesus shares? 
In this, His reminder, I hear Jesus caution me in regard to interpretation of the Scriptures. Humans can sometimes have rather wacky ideas of what God might be saying. I hear Jesus say that, if I want the truth, I should seek it from Him only. 
The Father is the gardener. Jesus knew this, and in His earthly life He constantly sought the Father's way for Him. I am encouraged to do likewise.
The Father gardener cuts off every branch that bears no fruit. Fortunately, I feel I can truthfully say that I have not been cut off by God. This is wonderful good news. There are times when I feel not a great deal is happening in and through my relationship with Him, but I know He's there - and this is enough.
I often sense His pruning, and I welcome this. It tells me several things. It says that He loves me such that He wants to improve me as a person, perhaps so that He can enjoy me even more. Also, His pruning brings further fruitfulness so that, when He prunes, I can expect more fruit to come out of our relationship.
The Greek word for 'to prune' also means 'to cleanse'. Thus, as God prunes me, so He cleanses me. This is Righteousness Itself touching my such that I am changed, I am cleansed, I am purified.
O, dear Lord, bring it on!



Precious Father,
I see You as my Father the gardener. I willingly offer myself into Your husbandry and care. I know that, sometimes, Your pruning has not been without pain. Yet it leads to further fruitfulness. In this I am fulfilled. I receive, and enjoy the contentment that comes from relationship with You. I give myself to Your handling, whatever it involves, and the glorious outcome it brings.    Amen    .

No comments:

Post a Comment