Monday 17 July 2017

The cost

"Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, saying, 'This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.' "       Luke 14.28,29

From time to time I see buildings that have begun construction and only gone so far before work is abandoned. Why is this, I wonder? Perhaps the owner changed his mind. Maybe the developer was overly ambitious then was forced to curtail his plans, and surrender his dreams.
Jesus gives the example of one who wishes to build a tower, begins construction, but then runs short of funds to complete the work. He cites another example of a king wishing to go to war with a king having a greater force. He must consider if his lesser force is capable of fighting, and destroying, the greater.
Jesus uses both examples to alert us to the reality of "counting the cost" if we decide to follow Him. There will surely be a cost, and we must be both aware of it and willing to pay it.
Jesus suggests that anyone following Him must "hate" parents, spouse, children and siblings, and even his own life, to be His disciple. I do not believe He intends "hate" as in despise or disown but, rather, that we must love Him more, indeed more than anyone or anything else. He also stipulates that we must "carry our cross" to follow Him.
The Christian life will not necessarily be trouble free. We may well face trial, even persecution in the name of Jesus. After all, we follow one who was persecuted to the extreme of a grisly death. I pray that I may not be called to the ultimate of martyrdom. But I also pray for God to lead me through this life's journey in His way and His will and to give me the strength and enabling I need to honour Him as I go.



Mighty Lord,
I am reminded that the Christian life may not be easy. I am committed to the Christian way. I ask You to show me that way, to guide me in the way You would have me go, to strengthen and equip me for all that lies ahead, and to accompany me every glorious step of the way. Thank You.     Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment