Sunday 23 July 2017

Content

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."    Phil. 4.12,13


When I read through the various writings of Paul, I get an understanding of the variety of experiences that made up his life. He lived well, and he lived not so well. He enjoyed good health, and he suffered sickness and ill health. He experienced times of plenty, and he lived through trials and difficulties. He confesses his times of need and the enjoyment of plenty to the Philippians. And he tells them that he has come to a place of contentment in any and every situation. His situation and circumstances do not determine or dictate his state of well- being. Perhaps they did at one time. They no longer do, for Paul says he has learned the secret of being content. He has come to a place in himself of contentment, a state, I would suggest, of being at peace with whatever the situation is, of knowing that our gracious God will give him all the strength he needs.
Paul declared that he has learned the secret. I think he goes on to reveal the secret with the words: I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
I do not claim to have endured the experiences that Paul lived through, but I can say that life has had its fill of ups and downs. I now feel the contentment that Paul speaks of. My experience has been greatly influenced by the words of Jesus in respect to the Father when He says: "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." (Matt. 6.33)
As I look to live each day in God, and as I believe He will lead me, always, in the fullness of His will, I can be at peace. I need not struggle or strive, for God is with me. He will lead me, and He will show me the way, as I allow Him. I need nothing else. When I put God first, everything else that I need comes forth. I am content, and I am greatly blessed.



Most Loving God,
I thank You for the life I have in You. I thank You that You have drawn me into this life, and You accompany me through each day of it.
I give this day to You. I look to Your leading, and I expect to enjoy Your presence as we journey together. Lead on! I know that I can do all things in the strength You provide. Thank You.   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment