Saturday 8 July 2017

Peace

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."          John 17.27


I'm writing this journal at the Eremo Delle Carceri de San Francesco, the hermitage retreat on Mount Subasio above Assisi where Saint Francis sought solitude and peace with his Lord.
The day is bright and fine. The hermitage with its wooded grounds is a place of infinite tranquility and serenity. It exudes the deepest peace. And this leads to my verse for today.
Jesus offers peace, and his offer is unlike anything the world might offer. The world would likely put conditions on any offer it makes. When Jesus makes an offer, the offer stands just as it is. The only condition is that the offer be accepted. Jesus 'gifts' me peace, it is a gift from Him to me and, like any gift, it needs to be accepted before it is of any value to me.
Jesus has blessed me abundantly and faithfully with His peace. I have lived for many years knowing the peace of Jesus and the power that attends it.
In giving His peace, Jesus exhorts me not to let my heart be troubled and not to be afraid. I confess there are times when my human instincts forget the divine gift I have been offered and I react in the opposite way to that which Jesus intends. When this happens, I have to remind myself of the gift I have already accepted and received. I reclaim the gift; I centre myself anew on Jesus, and peace returns.
Many times I have appropriated the peace of Jesus for others, and witnessed the wonder of this divine gift settling upon them.
But today no supplication is necessary. The peace of Jesus flows freely in this place. I receive it, bathe myself in it, and thank my gracious God.



Divine Father,
I thank You for the gift of peace given to me through Jesus. I receive the gift anew today and embrace it with all of my being.
I intercede on behalf of any who are in need of knowing the deep peace of Jesus that only You can give. Please hear my prayer, and respond in peace.      Amen.








No comments:

Post a Comment