Thursday 29 March 2018

Obedience

And having been made perfect, he became to all those who obey him the source of eternal salvation.                                                            Heb. 5.9

Ephesians 2.8 tells us that we are saved by grace through faith. Grace and faith work together for salvation.

But there is yet a third fundamental element to be considered. This is obedience. God may extend grace of salvation to us as we reach out in faith, but obedience is necessary to receive the fullness of eternal salvation.

Jesus was fully obedient to the will of the Father. He dedicated Himself while on earth to the fulfilment of the Father’s will in His life. Jesus was obedient, but He had to learn obedience. We are told (Heb. 5.8) that He learned obedience from the things which He suffered. In His suffering, and by His obedience, He was made perfect. This perfect being is our source of eternal salvation.

Do I want to obey? Am I willing to become obedient to this God-Man who made obedience the mainstay of His life philosophy? He learned obedience. He became obedient even unto death! He was made perfect by His obedience in suffering. And He calls me to obey Him. Can I? Will I?



Lord Jesus,
I want to be obedient. I pray that You can read my heart and know my desire for You and my need for obedience. I know that I do not have the strength within myself. I know this, for I stumble too often.
Yet I believe the desire will open the way for You to lead me and work in me. I desire to be obedient. Precious Lord, I love You so much, I want to honour and obey You. Hear my cry and help me.
Help me, Lord Jesus. Draw me into Your way. Strengthen me in experience and suffering. Lead me into obedience. In Your precious name I ask.                        Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment