Friday 9 March 2018

Don't give up!

Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.                Jas. 4.7


There are two very active instructions in this verse. I think also that the order in which they are given is important.

Firstly, I am to submit to God. This is imperative. I turn to Him. He has made me and I am His. When I falter or fail it is easy to feel shame such that God becomes the last place to which I turn. This is wrong! He ought to be my first, and instinctive, point of contact. The shame I may be tempted to feel, I need to set aside for, in Him, I will find forgiveness and release. Here is the affirmation, and validation, of the love that created me, the love that forgives me, and the love that can lead me on in victory.

I am called also to resist the devil. This is an immediate, and again an imperative action. I should not debate this nor delay it. It needs to be a state of living for me. I resist, and I keep resisting. As I am submitted to God, He strengthens me to stand up to the enemy in resistance.

And the reward comes with the enemy fleeing from me. How wonderful is this! I don’t know that I am yet in this enviable position. I offer myself in submission to God and I try to resist the enemy, but I don’t always succeed. Nevertheless, I can’t give up. Let me follow the widow’s example, and persevere.



Lord God,
I try to do as James records, but I am not successful in my own strength alone. I need You, Lord. I ask for Your help. My strong desire is to overcome the ways of the flesh and live fully to the will of God. Help me, Lord, I’m willing. Help me please.           Amen.










My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment