Thursday 1 March 2018

Consistency

Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.                                                                                                                   Jas. 3.11, 12


James, in talking of the vagaries of the tongue, brings out some comparisons. A salt spring cannot produce fresh water; a fig tree cannot bear olives; a grapevine will not yield figs. Likewise, the tongue of the believer, drawn to God in holy relationship, is meant to speak forth praise and encouragement. It should not curse and condemn.

My tongue does not always behave as I would like it to. I am generally positive and uplifting in my demeanour. I try to encourage people despite the circumstances they might find themselves in. Yet there are times when critical thoughts pass through my mind. Sometimes these thoughts are expressed by my tongue with a measure of cynicism or sarcasm. I do not like this and I would dearly give myself to change.

My hope is in God. I can certainly attempt to discipline myself to think the right thoughts and follow through with the right words, but I know that my hope is in Him. Let me give myself to his way, and seek His guiding of me in that way.



Most Loving God,
I thank You for giving me the ability to speak, with the many opportunities You open up for me. I am sorry that I do not always speak forth as I would wish to. I repent of this and ask Your forgiveness.

I surrender my tongue to You. I ask You to give me the words to say in any situation. Let me speak forth what You would have me say. Let me be faithful to You in this.   Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment