Monday 19 March 2018

Be patient

Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord’s coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains.           Jas. 5.7


I wonder how many of us welcome the suggestion to “be patient”! This is a challenge to many Christians, myself included. But the words that James follows with I find greatly encouraging.

He cites the example of the farmer waiting on his crop to yield. There is very much a process involved here. The farmer plants the seed. After planting, the autumn rains come and water the seed. Growth begins. The crop continues to grow and mature. Just before harvest, the spring rain falls and brings the crop to its peak condition ready for reaping. The cycle is complete, and its result is excellent. But the farmer has needed to follow through the process with patience.

I can see the comparison in my growth as a Christian. God planted the seed. He watered it and brought sun and nutrients in the soil to ensure good growth. He maintains the action as the crop develops. In due time the crop will be ready for harvesting, and the result will be good!

At no time did the crop cry out to the farmer to be harvested. All came through in due course, following the patient example of the farmer. Similarly, I wait on God. A rich harvest will come in God’s own time. Meanwhile, as I observe from the story of the crop, I am growing in health, in strength, and in richness. Let me not seek to hasten this process but, with patience, let me receive and enjoy all of God’s goodness to me.



O Loving God,
I surrender. I place myself in Your hands. Give me the patience to go with Your plan. Let me enjoy Your growing of me.              Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment