Wednesday 21 March 2018

Say what you mean, mean what you say

Above all, my brothers, do not swear – not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. Let your “Yes” be yes, and your “No”, no, or you will be condemned.    Jas. 5.12


What I hear James say here is that there is no need to swear. A simple “Yes” or “No” will suffice.

I have heard the most elaborate stories concocted at times to explain a person’s actions, or maybe lack of action. I have wondered at this, thinking that no one is obliged to justify their choice. I feel, when I have made my decision in any matter, if I need to say anything more than “Yes” or “No”, the words might be “because this is what I choose.” I have a free choice. This should be sufficient. I do not have to enter into extensive justification of my actions.

But when I say “Yes” or “No” it is important that my decision is well-founded, at least to myself. I need to weigh up what is being asked of me, and make my decision carefully. Having made my decision, I then must stand by it.

I sense James is saying, “Don’t say yes, if you mean no.” Or “Don’t say no if you can’t or won’t follow through.” It is important to say what I truly mean, and to carry it through (that is, to mean what I say). There is much falsity in the world today. Let Christians be truthful, and let us stand by the truth.



Lord God,
I thank You that I can make decisions without feeling unduly pressured. I ask You to guide me in all decision making. Strengthen me, please, to arrive at a right course. And lead me through in standing by any “Yes” or “No” that I decide. Let truth reign in me.       Amen.









My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment