Thursday 15 March 2018

Today

Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.                                                                                                     Jas. 4.13,14


The transitory nature of this earthly life is aptly described by the phrase You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Mists do not last. James questions those who fill today with plans for tomorrow. I have long been mindful that today is all I am sure of. And not even that, but simply this present moment. I am alive now, and I must live now!

My very act of sitting, reading, reflecting and writing this is part of my worship of God. I am giving myself to Him. He has given me this day. Let me give myself to Him in return, inviting Him to use me to His praise and glory.

I do not think for tomorrow. Tomorrow will be filled with its own doing. Today is my gift from God. Let me offer Him the gift of myself. And may I enjoy the ways in which we, together, will use this gift.



O Most Loving God,
Your words through James speak loudly to me today. I see the present moment as Your gift of grace to me. I am certain of nothing more. My desire is to give myself and this time to You. I want to live, right now, in company with You, to please and delight You, to enjoy You and to be enjoyed by You.
I think not of tomorrow, but of today and each moment that comes. Take me and lead me us You wish. Let the present time be filled with our relationship. May it be sweet and fruitful. Reach out to others through me as You will. Be alive in me this moment, in Jesus name I pray.             Amen








My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment