Tuesday 13 March 2018

Who am I?

There is only one lawgiver and judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you – who are you to judge your neighbour?                                            Jas. 4.12


In the previous verse, James cautions me against slandering another, against speaking ill of my brother or judging him. And in this present verse he challenges me as to who I think I am to dare to consider judging my neighbour.

Who, indeed, am I? When speaking out, I may not see my words as slander yet, if I speak ill of anyone, however mild it may seem, I am slandering them. And in my thoughts I could well be judging them. This is not good, and it is certainly not God’s way.

So, what might I do? I seem to be presently in a time of concentrated focus on God. By this I mean expanding my awareness of Him with the hope and aim of it becoming truly a natural, twenty-four-hours-a-day state. I consider people like Brother Lawrence and Frank Laubach and how they came to live permanently in God’s presence. But they started, or certainly Laubach did, by reminding themselves, in small time slots, of God’s presence. The time slots lengthened until the whole of time was covered. Truly these men lived in awareness of Him every minute of every day.

If I have a permanent awareness of God, I am also aware of how I should act, of what He requires of me. And His presence with me will strengthen and uphold me to do the right thing. Thus, I will not slander my brother, nor speak ill of him, nor judge him. My awareness of God and my desire and willingness to please Him will lead me into His good ways. I’m finding that I can bring God to mind, even in times when temptation is pressing at me. But merely bringing Him to mind is not enough. I need to be aware also of His purity and His majesty, and know a true awe of His authority. I see this as “fear of the Lord”. It is a mighty and humbling thing. May God grant me this as I consider Him.



O Mighty God,
I am growing in seeing You and being aware of Your presence in more and more situations. I am aware of You, but this is not enough. I cry out for a genuine awe of Your holy and sovereign Being. Fill me with awe-filled respect for You, in every situation and circumstance. Let me be moved by Your righteous call on me. May I willingly turn to You and embrace You in each moment. I plead for Your revelation of this to me, in Jesus’ name.                        Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment