Saturday 17 March 2018

I can't save me

Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.      Jas. 4.17


For me, this is a clear definition of sin. When I know what I must do, but fail to do it, choosing instead to act to the contrary, then I sin. I have been in situations where I have known that what I might do is sinful, yet I have gone ahead and done it. How wilful is this? Or is it my human frailty in giving in to the weakness of the flesh?

When “the sin” is over I am remorseful – but I believe God is forgiving. Yet this does not help because, deep inside me, I do not want to give in to the sin. I am disappointed when I do.

I also realise that I cannot achieve my own perfection. If I could, I would have no need for Christ’s sacrifice for me. And so, I reconcile myself to knowing that I sin. I will still give of my utmost to try and avoid sinning, but when I falter and fall, I will straightway come to Him. I will confess my sin and humbly seek His forgiveness. I will look to Him to lead me on as I give myself afresh to His way.

I pray I will grow in this. As I’m faced with a choice between good and not-so-good may I recognise what is good, and do it.




Lord God,

I thank You for the realisation that I cannot save myself from sin. I thank You for the atoning sacrifice of my Lord Jesus. I wish, however, to please You in following the way of good. I ask Your help in this. May Your Holy Spirit be ever present to help and guide me. Please give me startling reminders of Your love whenever I am tempted to stray. Thank You.                   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment