Tuesday 30 January 2018

Not God

When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone.                      Jas. 1.13


God is holy. Unholiness has no part of him. Temptation is that which leads us into unholiness. Temptation is as alien to God as unholiness is.

Temptation is an evil thing. God, in His holiness and righteousness, would absolutely not be leading me into evil through the lure of temptation.

God cannot be tempted and, by the nature of temptation, He will not lead me in that way.

Testing is different from temptation. God will not tempt me, but He could quite likely test me. However, as God will not tempt me, I can reasonably say that He will not use temptation to test me. This indicates fairly clearly that temptation is of the devil. Satan prowls, ever ready to pounce on the unsuspecting and lead them as far into evil as he can.

It helps me greatly to see temptation as a work of Satan. I can resist and, as I do so, I show myself to be truly on God’s side. But I might not have the power to resist! This is when I call to God and seek His help. Because evil and temptation are so alien to Him, I can be assured of His aid in my struggles. I find great comfort in this. I am reminded of Paul’s words: If God is for us, who can be against us. (Rom. 8.31). I claim these words.



Holy Father,
I look to You for all of my journey through this life. I ask You to strengthen me to resist temptation. I call on You to lead me through trial and testing, to victory.            Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment