Thursday 1 February 2018

Pattern

…but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.                                                                               Jas. 1.14,15


In these verses I see the clear pattern of sin. First, temptation appears when we are distracted and enticed into a desire that is not good. When the desire takes hold in us, it leads us into sin. We find ourselves moving deeper into the sin until, ultimately, it brings us to death.

We may not physically die, but the good way we were on before we got distracted and enticed has been brought to closure. Restoration is required, which can sometimes be a difficult, even lengthy, process.

Recovery begins with confession and repentance. When I have been “dragged away” and enticed, or seduced, into sin, I know immediately that I have dishonoured God and the remorse I feel is great. To make confession and repent does not bring instant relief. For me, the stain remains for a time. But my God is gracious. His forgiveness is immediate and, I thank God, His absolution in grace is far stronger than the most powerful sin. I am given a second chance… and a third…and a fourth…

I will not lead a life free of sin. I need to be well aware of this. I need also to be alert to it. If I can sense that moment when the “dragging away” begins, and if I have the strength to call out to God, the sin may be averted. He is ever there for me. Praise God!



O Pure God,
I cry out in my impurity. Help me to recognise that moment of pulling away, and strengthen me to turn to You. When I fail, know that my heart is for You. Forgive me the weakness of my flesh.                 Amen.







My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment