Sunday 25 February 2018

The tongue

Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.                                    Jas. 3.5


James has talked of the bit in the horse’s mouth – a small object that controls the whole animal. He cites the rudder on a ship, again a very small thing that directs the mass of the largest vessel. So is the tongue in the human body. My tongue speaks for me, and of me, literally, morally, and spiritually. People gauge me by what I say. My tongue reveals me, it makes known who I am.

What I say is important. The smallest spark can generate a bush fire of lethal proportions. The human tongue has a similar capacity. I have the ability to cause great adversity and suffering by what I say.

Bush fires start from two major sources. The spark may be accidentally struck, or the fire can be deliberately lit. Either way, the result is devastating. This tells me I need to be ever alert to what I say. I may not deliberately set out to cause trouble. God forbid that I ever would. I need to guard against this. But I also need to be alert and watchful against any accidental comment or remark. This can be equally as injurious as a deliberate verbal assault.

Let me, then, think carefully before I speak. Let me be ever mindful of the power of words. Let me endeavor always to speak the right talk.



Lord God,
I do not wish my speech to be harmful in any way. May I always be motivated by Your Spirit in what I say. If I ever need to challenge or chastise, let me do so in the fullness of Your grace. Be Lord of my tongue, and Lord of all of me.                       Amen.









My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment