Monday 19 February 2018

Mercy

Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.                                                             Jas. 2.12,13


The essence of these verses I see as an appeal to be merciful. Judgment for my deeds will one day be passed on me. James follows through on what I read in Paul: For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad. (2 Cor.5.10)

I have a choice in all of my actions. I can be legalistic which, I fear, leads to a judgmental attitude. Alternatively, I can choose to be merciful in my dealings with others. So often in the gospel narratives I read of Jesus looking on people “with compassion”. I can follow Him in this. I can choose to look mercifully upon situations and the people that are involved in them. I can be harsh and unbending in my view, or I can be understanding and more tolerant.

How I respond to others will influence the way I am treated in the Day of Judgment. This does not overly concern me. It is certainly not the reason I would choose to be merciful. This decision, rather, comes from my desire to follow Christ and, like Him, to do what is pleasing to the Father. As I exercise my choice to be merciful, I experience the peace that is mine in Jesus. This is a most wonderful thing. I appreciate it, and I give myself for more.



Holy Father,
I seek to temper all of my actions with mercy. May I see more clearly the compassionate example of my Lord Jesus. May I follow Him in grace and mercy in my interactions with others. Help me, please.                 Amen.







My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment