Sunday 11 February 2018

More than listening

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.                                                                                                                                           Jas. 1.22


Listening to God’s Word will not bring us into a right place with Him if we fail to do what that word says. We may hear God’s truths on a Sunday, then tell ourselves it is quite impracticable to apply them, on a Monday. We fool with God’s Word, and we fool ourselves.

It may not be easy to live to the Gospel message, but it is not impossible. I can dismiss what He asks of me as too hard, or I can knuckle down and get on with it, giving it my commitment, and working through any struggles to an overcoming. Life has taught me that things hard won are often far more satisfying that those things that come without effort.

I have not yet achieved sufficient success in living to God’s Word. I am not likely to reach anything like perfection in this earthly life. But this does not deter me. I shall continue to do the best I can. As I give myself to His Word, so I go forward doing the best I can and looking to Him for strength and support. I also seek His forgiveness when I stuff up.

God has called me to work with Him. I give myself willingly to this invitation. I rejoice as I go, giving it my best shot.



Holy God,
I repent of those times when I disappoint You. I ask Your forgiveness. I ask also that You continue to show me the way, and to walk with me in that way.           Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment