Monday 5 February 2018

No deceit

Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.                                                                                                               Jas. 1.16, 17


God doesn’t lie. He is not deceitful. He is loving and giving. Certainly he is righteous and just and this is something that the present generation may well struggle with. The message is of God’s consistency. He is the same yesterday, and today, and tomorrow.

God is not like shifting shadows that flicker and flit hither and thither. God is the Father of the heavenly lights. He is the creator of the sun and the stars that light up the heavens. These very lights can change. Stars can explode and disappear. The sun is constantly in change. But God does not change. It is important for believers to know this and to be united in it. God is constant, and ever faithful.

This totally trustworthy Being provides us with every good and perfect gift. I might feel that not every gift is good, and certainly not perfect. Yet I can turn to Him. I can thank Him for the good, helpful and encouraging gifts. I can seek Him, and His input and help when I wrestle with a gift that is not so good. I can hold, steadfastly, to the words of Paul, who declares that God works for the good in all things to those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. (Rom. 8.28)



Dear Father of the heavenly lights, and my loving Father,
I thank You for every gift. I rejoice in the good and perfect gifts while I look to You for strength and help with the not-so-good gifts. May I rejoice always knowing that I am with You.                  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment