Tuesday 13 February 2018

Religious

If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.                                 Jas. 1.26


What an interesting word “religious” is! I wonder just what James meant when he referred to the religious. Did he mean those people of genuine and deep faith? Or was he, perhaps, trying to get a message across to those whom he saw “practicing” a form of belief that was maybe not truly genuine?

I don’t particularly like the words “religion” and “religious”. I prefer words such as “faith”, “faithful” and “Christian”. Perhaps unfairly, yet nonetheless truthfully, when I think of “religious” what comes to my mind is “sanctimonious”. This suggests a show of faith. It is to put on, with ostentation. It is a false piety. Humility is absent in its very public presentation. The focus of its demonstration seems to be the person acting it out rather than the wonder of Christ, the love of God, and all that that entails for us, His creation.

So let me rather reflect on the faithful. These men and women exercise their faith in Christ and their belief in His all-embracing saving love in true humility and deep obedience. They are not interested in putting on a show yet, to those who are truly aware, their witness is more telling that the most lavish spectacular.

James cautions a tight rein on the tongue of the religious. The true believer will naturally speak love and kindness, exhorting in encouragement and building up in faith – just like Jesus.



Lord Jesus,
I pray I may never become religious as I have described it here. Rather, let me abide in You in humbleness of heart and in deep recognition of the truth of Your love.        Amen.







My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment