Sunday 14 January 2018

Living in grace

Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. It is good for our hearts to be strengthened by grace, not by ceremonial foods, which are of no value to those who eat them.                                                                                                                   Heb. 13.9


The Jewish teachers had taken the basic commandments that God had instructed Moses to get the people to live by, and they had woven them into a stringent code of behaviour that seemed to miss completely the original intent. Compassion and love for one’s neighbour appeared to be entirely lacking.

Jesus, by His life and message, reinforced the grace of God. He removed nothing from the law, but represented the earlier commandments in a simpler form: love God with all of your being, and love your neighbour as yourself. In living truly to these two commandments, the love and grace of God will flow.

While the people were strictly monitored by the religious authorities to let no ceremonially unclean foods pass their lips, those very officials often gave vent with most unclean – and certainly unloving – words. Here, again, grace needed to break through.

I will not accomplish my God-given tasks by rigidly holding myself to a set of rules if I cannot allow mercy, grace and love to cover everything I do. I truly believe, if I live in the loving way that God would have me live, rules would not be necessary. For love compels me to live right.



Holy Father,
I am ever grateful for the grace You have extended to me in releasing me from sin and wrapping me in Your loving embrace. Let me show this love in my life. Let me consider others in the way You want me to. Help me share Your love, freely and generously.  Amen.







My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment