Monday 8 January 2018

Empathy

Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.                                                 Heb. 13.3


In this verse empathy comes into play. It might be difficult enough to sympathise with those in prison, especially when we become aware of the crimes they may have committed. Many in the community have no regard whatsoever for the incarcerated. The well-worn phrase they trot out is: “Lock them up, and throw away the key.” 

Not only is this attitude totally abhorrent to the Christian way, but even sympathy with those detained is insufficient. We are called to empathy. The writer tells us to look upon them as if we were one of them ourselves, one with them, incarcerated and punished. This is truly getting to the heart of the matter. If I was to experience just the shortest time in incarceration it might well give me a new outlook on those who suffer for longer periods.

I have spoken with prisoners and the stories of some of them have brought a reaction in me of – there, but for the grace of God, go I! I may not readily countenance the crime, but I am asked to consider the perpetrator and extend to them the grace and the love of God. And I have seen the effect of this when it is sincerely offered.

I am well aware that it is not for me to judge. I am called to love and support. May God help me in this.



Almighty God,
I pray for those who are imprisoned, mistreated and suffering. Be there for them, Lord. And help me to be there for them. Let me be Christ to them.                   Amen.







My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment