Thursday 4 January 2018

Brothers

Keep on loving each other as brothers.                                                             Heb. 13.1


With a request such as this we could be tempted to respond from knowledge of the behaviour of human brothers, perhaps even from our own experience. Some brothers do not get on all that well. Some cause each other harm, even death. I can readily cite the examples of Esau and Jacob, of Cain and Abel.  

I have been blessed with extremely good relationships with my brothers. Yet I know of instances where relationships have not been good, in fact where they’ve been unhealthy and damaging.

We may each, then, need to apply varying degrees of change to view the encouragement of this verse as we are meant to receive it.

Jesus Christ may be seen as our great and gracious elder brother. I see this present plea being for us to love each other as He loves us, to consider and give to one another as He would have us give. Whatever our experience with our human brothers, we are to move on from this and display love to all, in the manner of Christ’s love for us.

This may cause some reflection upon our relations with family members, indeed with anyone with whom we struggle in relationships. Can we forgive? Perhaps I should present that as, will we forgive? Is there a need for us to institute reconciliation?

As I consider the relationship trials that Jesus faced, I see the ally that He is for me in growing my relationships.



Lord Jesus,
I truly want to love all with genuine Godly, brotherly love. At times I might struggle to do this. Help me, please!                Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment