Saturday 20 January 2018

Don't forget

And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.                                                                                                                      Heb. 13.16


I see three insights in this verse. The first is to do good and to share with others. This is fundamental to the Christian ethic. Of course I will endeavour to do good and to share whatever good I am able to with others. Isn’t this understood? Well, by me it is! But I wonder how long in reality it took me to get to this realisation. And how many who declare themselves to be Christians actually act out their commission?

The second insight is that God is pleased with such sacrifices. Again, this is something of a self-evident truth. But it is good to be reminded of this and also to be encouraged by it. I am exhorted to do what ought to be natural for the believer.

And that leads to the third insight, which I find a little puzzling. I am told not to forget to do good and to share with others. This intrigues me. Do I need to be reminded? Is it possible that I could forget what I see as so fundamental to the Christian witness? I pray that I will never forget this important aspect of the witness and outworking of my faith. And may I never, ever, need to be reminded of what I must do!

God loved me so much that He gave His very Self for me. Surely I can respond to His amazing sacrifice by doing and sharing whatever I can to spread His love, mercy and grace.



Sweet Lord,

I come again in thanksgiving for all You have done, and continue to do, for me. May I, in humble response, do good at every opportunity and share with others as You lead me. Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment