Saturday 1 December 2018

Not afraid

In God, whose word I praise, 
in God I trust; I will not be afraid. 
What can mortal man do to me?                Psalm 56.4

In God whose word I praise, 
in the LORD, whose word I praise – 
in God I trust; I will not be afraid. 
What can man do to me?                          vv. 10,11


These words are obviously important. So important indeed, that they are repeated. And the second time they are given even greater emphasis. 

The psalmist praises the word of God. As I read God’s Word I am reminded, time after time, of His goodness and mercy, His faithfulness and trustworthiness. Praise the word of the Lord!

Yes, indeed, I can trust God. I need not be afraid, for mere man can do no real harm to me when God is with me. I will not be afraid.

In the repetition of this trust in God a further dimension is added. The psalmist refers to the LORD whose word he praises. When all-powerful God is also Lord – Lord of me and every part of who I am and what I do – then I need fear for nothing.

God will be God despite anything I do. But He will only be my LORD as I allow Him.



Lord God,
Thank You for Your word today. I bow before You as God Almighty – Creator, Redeemer, Preserver. I embrace You also as my Lord. I invite You into the depths of my being and ask You to exercise Your Lordship over every part of me.
When any person seeks to harm me, I will remind myself that You are God. You are almighty, all-powerful, all-knowing and all being. And You are my Lord. You care for me. You protect and guide me. I trust in You. In You I am safe. I thank You, good and gracious God, in Jesus’ name.           Amen.              

No comments:

Post a Comment