Friday 14 December 2018

Always there

Where can I go from your Spirit?                                                            
Where can I flee from your presence?                  Psalm 139.7


This would be one of the most encouraging verses in the Bible. The psalmist is both asking questions and making statements. He continues in the psalm to identify a number and variety of places and situations where he is able to go and, of course, God is in each and every one. 

In short, there is nowhere he can go and not find God.

So it is for me. when I am happy and celebratory it is perhaps easy for me to know that God is with me. He is also there, however, when I am struggling and maybe feeling myself to be in the pit. Yes, I can find God in the darkest, smelliest pit if I look for Him. As well, and this is something I really need to get hold of, God is there in the seemingly dry and indifferent times, those days – and they do come – when I feel almost apathetic to life and what might, or might not, be going on. I need never be without God. Perhaps the action is with me!



Lord God,
The psalmist says, “You have searched me and you know me.” I know this is true for myself also. But there are times when I feel I must search for You. And these are not always desperate times. There are the in-between times, the times of seeming nothing-ness. I know You’re there but there is, perhaps, a lack of action or response when I need it. Even as I write this, I see that it is my need rather than Your will. I ask You to forgive me for any impatience and to strengthen me to wait on You.
Yes, Lord, holy God, I know You are there. Let me be patient, holding on to Your word, as refreshed to me by the preceding psalm, that You will fulfil Your purpose for me. (Psalm 138.8)
Thank You, Lord. I rejoice in You. I yield and submit to You. Have Your way, in Jesus’ name.           Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment