Saturday 22 December 2018

Another world

May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.                            Phil. 6.14


Paul says quite clearly that he is separated from the world (crucified). After his magnificent encounter with Christ on the road to Damascus, his whole life was given to Jesus.

I envy Paul. I would dearly like to live only for Jesus. I do this in part, yet I am obviously not doing it wholly. 

I do feel separate from “the world”. I identify with Jesus when He responds to Pilate: “My kingdom is not of this world….But now my kingdom is from another place.” (John 18.36) I feel that I am more in touch with heaven than I am with earth. Worldly things do not interest me.

As it is Christmas, I led a carol service at church this morning. I sought to present the carols as relevant to today as much as when they were written, some – several hundreds of years ago.  The carols brilliantly cover the birth of Christ, how He appeared to the lowly shepherds and the lofty magi. This tells me that He is there for both poor and rich. Indeed He is there for everyone who will receive Him: for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” (Rom. 10.13)

To enter into this “other”, great and wonderful world, all we have to do is acknowledge Jesus as Saviour, and receive Him as Lord. As we do this, the attractions of the world will pall. When we truly give ourselves to Jesus, He becomes the focal point of all that we do. Through His love and power, we become His brothers and sisters. We belong to him, and our heritage is in another world.

In time we will live fully in this other place. Meanwhile we can enjoy glimpses of this glorious future in our present existence as we fix our eyes on Jesus.



Lord Jesus,
I thank You for the assurance of my place in the life and the world to come. I would not experience this miracle if You had not given Your life for my salvation. I thank You. I love You.             Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment