Saturday 8 December 2018

Holy fear

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;
aIl who follow his precepts have good understanding. 
To Him belongs eternal praise.                            Psalm 111.10


This psalm is a hymn of praise to God for His unfailing righteousness. Interwoven with praise is instruction in wisdom. God is worthy, O so worthy, of all praise. His works are great; glory and majesty fit well with Him. He works wonders, and is a gracious and compassionate provider. He is faithful, just and trustworthy.

How wise it is to acknowledge these things, to take them into our being with understanding and to base upon them a fear – a holy respect and acknowledgement – of God. This is not terror, but a most healthy regard and a desire to act always out of the deepest respect for a mighty and loving, faithful God.



Lord God,
I join with the psalmist in praise of You. I rejoice at Your great works. I acknowledge Your faithfulness, justice and mercy. I marvel at the wonders You bring to pass.
I have a certain knowledge of You and Your wonderful attributes. I ask for a deeper understanding and the promotion of wisdom in me.
Lord God, may I know You with a holy fear. May progressive understanding lead me into a deeper respect and reverence for You. I love You, but I so desire to live my life in full accord with Your wishes. Hear this, the cry of my heart. Lead me deeper into You.
I lift my heart and my voice in praise to You. Great God and wonderful Saviour, I extol You. I thank You for Your great works and glorious deeds. I thank You for all that You are and all that You do. I love You.                Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment