Friday 21 December 2018

Old Age

They will still bear fruit in old age,
 they will stay fresh and green, 
proclaiming, “The LORD is upright; 
he is my Rock, and there is no 
wickedness in him.”                                           Psalm 92.14,15


The psalmist is talking about the righteous, who will retain freshness and health, remaining fruitful into old age.

I remember a recent discourse on righteousness, describing it, not as we may be wont to see it – as some sort of holy human perfection before God – but as applying to the person who is in right relationship with God.

Abram believed the LORD, and He credited it to him as righteousness. (Gen. 15.6)

The verb “believe” used in this Scripture literally means to steady oneself by leaning on. The grammatical form used implies continuing permanently in this attitude. Surely, to steady oneself by leaning on the Lord and to continue permanently in this attitude would foster right relationship with God. Such a relationship will keep me ever fresh and healthy, and will allow me to bear fruit proclaiming the goodness of the Lord and my relationship with Him.



Lord God,
As I seek to steady myself by leaning on you, I ask for Your help. I pray You will support me and strengthen me. I seek to continue permanently in this attitude of leaning on You, of being steadied by You.
I pray for fruit long into my old age. I want to proclaim Your goodness and the joy of my relationship with You. I pray You will enable me to do this freely, and to draw many into closer relationship with You.
Lord, hear my prayer. Lead me on,
                  In Jesus’ name I ask.               Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment