Wednesday 27 December 2017

Remorse!

Afterward, as you know, when he wanted to inherit this blessing, he was rejected. He could bring about no change of mind, though he sought the blessing with tears.                                                                                                                                               Heb. 12.17


This verse refers to Esau. He sold his inheritance in order to gain one single, solitary meal. Afterwards, he rued what he had done. He was rejected even though he pressed his claim with a deep demonstration of emotion. He missed out, and it came by his own actions.

What a clear lesson there is here for us to be mindful of the decisions we make and the actions we take. It is better to fully consider situations before we launch into any action. Later remorse may be of no real effect. How different might the Old Testament story have been if Esau had not sold his birthright!

The question arises in my mind - Who, or what, is leading you? Esau was led by his appetite and, I suggest, by a somewhat volatile temperament. I endeavour to give myself to God for His leading. Even so, I need to keep myself ever vigilant to be sure I'm hearing what He would say to me. This requires me to give time for Him to speak to me. I need to situate myself quietly and in a relaxed manner, and then not rush to be onto the "next thing". No, God is the next thing, and must always be so.



Almighty God,
I seek Your guidance at all times. I pray for no cause to ever be remorseful about decisions I have made. May my choices always be in You. And if I should make a decision that is not led by You. I ask You to change it. I give myself to You for Your direction on all things.                        Amen.







My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment