Sunday 17 December 2017

Open to discipline

If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons.                                                           Heb. 12.8
                                                                                                                           

There is much food for thought in the challenge of whether I am being disciplined or not - or, rather, by whom I am disciplined. The writer is suggesting an illegitimacy with those who are undisciplined by God.

Oh dear, should I be inviting discipline as an assurance that I am legitimate, and a true son, in Him? I don't think so! But I believe I should be most open to receive discipline. This is a way of knowing that His hand of care, and legitimacy, is upon me.

However, I need to be satisfied that the discipline is coming from God. I sense, through some years of giving myself to walk with Him, that I know when He is at work, and bringing correction and renewed focus to me.

God's discipline may involve a range of issues. I am impacted, right now, with the reference I've just made to renewed focus. This is just one of God's disciplinary measures, but it is a significant point.

I can allow myself to become absorbed with a point or perspective that may be most worthy of consideration, but one that God doesn't want me to be distracted by. I might hear Him say, "Not now! right now I want you to focus on ..." I need to be alert to this. He may boom His preference at me or He may use a gentle whisper. Either way I need to pick it up, and willingly follow His way.



Lord God,
May I be ever open to Your discipline. Let me hear what You say, however You may say it to me. Grant me a willingness to obey. Have Your way in me.             Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment