Monday 25 December 2017

No misses

See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.                               Heb. 12.15


I am saddened by the thought of those who miss the grace of God. Yet our actions can so easily lead us to miss out. The words come in an instruction. When the writer says "See to it", the onus is upon me to keep myself from missing God's grace. I will do my utmost in this yet, again, I will also seek God's aid.

I am also cautioned to see that no bitter root grows such that will cause trouble and will defile. Bitterness is a dire emotion to experience and it brings no good, either to the one holding to bitterness or to others. It is demoralising and destructive.

Both missing out on God's grace and the experience of bitter roots can be avoided, I believe, by pressing in to God. This (Hebrews) is the book, indeed the very chapter that urges me to fix my eyes on Jesus. As I do this I am not going to miss out on God's grace. If I should sense a bitter root beginning to form, I can turn to Him and seek His way through. If I sense either of these dilemmas come upon someone else, I can fix my eyes on Jesus and press in to Him in intercession on their behalf.

This verse raises, for me, the options of two very different ways. One is the "me" way which is very much the way of a large part of today's world. The other is His way, which is the way of my heart.



Lord, Loving God,

I dedicate myself to Your way. I release myself fully to You. I pray for the day ahead and for every succeeding day. I ask You to have Your way in me.                   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment