Friday 29 December 2017

In training

But you have come to Mount Zion, to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly.                                                                                                                 Heb. 12.22


The destination for the believer is the heavenly Jerusalem. Here in the presence of the living God and in company of multitudes of angels will be joy, unlimited and unceasing. This is God's covenant of eternal love.

In the immediately preceding verses the writer has presented aspects of the first covenant that was given to Moses on the mount. The mountain was afire and the people were afraid. Here they met the awesome God. Here they heard warnings that frightened them with fearful and severe penalties.

Christ offers a new covenant - of love, hope and joy. This is what I look forward to. And I am living in this covenant already. It is not complete, nor will it be complete while I remain in this earthly life. But I give myself to the covenant and I adopt a lifestyle of love, of acceptance of people as they are, of forgiving and not festering. I seek joy and peace in the day to day. I look for wonder and delight in the ordinary. I seek the heavenly Jerusalem to the extent that I can find it in this earthly existence.

I am in training. One day I will pass into the fulfilment of Christ's covenant for me. One day all will be joy, peace, love and blessing. Meanwhile, I seek it as I go, and I hope to spread it during my journey.



Loving Lord,
I embrace Your new covenant of love. I seek to live it to the fullest I am able in this earthly existence. Be with me always. Guide me in truth and in love.
I ask this in Jesus' name.                Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment