Wednesday 6 December 2017

Encouragement in the race

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.                                            Heb. 12.1


When I read this verse, I see myself in a sports stadium. I am on the track. I am running a race. There are hurdles in my way on the track but they are not placed at regular intervals as in a hurdles sprint. The race is more of a steeplechase with the obstacles I need to surmount arising at irregular intervals. They vary also in difficulty. I see in these obstacles the things that hinder my godly race of life. They are things I need to throw off. They are sins that will trap and entangle me if I am not alert and careful.

As I approach each obstacle, a great shout of encouragement goes up from the crowd. The stadium is packed with spectators. They watch me, but it is as if they are running the race with me.

This is the great cloud of witnesses. They fill the stadium to overflowing. Their encouragement is real and effective. I can take note and be influenced by their leading, for each one of them has run the race for themselves.

They have experienced the race of life. They persevered, and they finished triumphant. They savoured the victory and proceeded to that place of glorious and victorious eternal life. They impact me greatly. I respond to their great encouragement.



Lord God,

I thank You for this great cloud of witnesses. I see them surrounding me and encouraging me in my race of life. I receive their encouragement. I give myself to the race. I look for the victory - in You.                    Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment