Saturday 23 December 2017

Living in peace and holiness

Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.                               Heb. 12.14


Two things are asked of me in this verse, to live in peace with everybody, and to be holy. There are no exceptions in the call to peaceful living. I am to be at peace with everyone. This is quite an ask! It's something I most certainly need God's help with, but it's also a matter for my application and perseverance.

As I endeavour to live at peace with everybody, so I will grow in holiness. But, again, I need God's input - and in no small measure! I note God's further exhortation to me from Peter's first letter: As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written "Be holy, because I am holy." (1 Peter 1.14-16)

I receive these words as encouragement. There is good direction here. I know when I'm being assaulted by an evil desire. I recognise it and I arm myself against it. Part of this arming process is to enlist God's help. Far from being offended by my wicked thoughts and desires, God waits, almost impatiently, to help me, for He wants to see me victorious. And His wish is to rejoice with me in my victory.

I am to make every effort to achieve these goals of holiness and living in peace with all people. I can give myself to this, but I also need to reach out to God for His help.



Lord God,

I lay before You my desires to be holy and to live in peace with all people. I commit to give myself to achieve these things but I also ask for Your help. I cannot do it without You. May we, together, gain victory.                Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment