Saturday 9 December 2017

Fixed

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.                                                                                                   Heb. 12.2


This is one of those very special verses to me. I come alive at the thought of fixing my eyes on Jesus, of giving Him my whole, undivided attention, of making Him my entire focus.

What happens when I fix my eyes on Jesus? Well, firstly I see Him. I see Him with a clarity that encourages and enthuses me. I see the amazing love that He has for me. It streams from His eyes, bathing me in love and strength and acceptance and respect and promise. I see the joy that He saw. I see the joy that He has for me.

I see also the way in which He scorned the shame of the cross. As I reflect on this, further revelation comes to me. My cross, however it may manifest, is something I can be fearful of, I can dread and I can be intimidated by. Or I can follow Jesus and treat it, or rather its shame, with scorn. My focus cannot be on Him and on my cross at the one time. By this I mean I treat the cross simply as something I must overcome, which I will do after the example of Jesus, and in the power of God.



Lord Jesus,
I fix my eyes on You with the greatest delight. I exult to fill my vision with You. I receive wave up on wave of love from You. I note Your scorning of the shame of the cross and I determine to follow Your example in the trials of my life. Be my focus - always - in You precious name I ask.                     Amen.







My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment