Tuesday 19 December 2017

Positive discipline

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.      Heb. 12.11


Discipline can be most painful, especially if I receive it with resentment and bitterness. But if my attitude is one of acceptance of the need for discipline and a genuine willingness to grow, then the receiving of correction will be a more positive experience. 

I can whinge and moan, even complain about injustice, or I can see the act of discipline as an opportunity to grow. I am attracted to the prospect of a harvest of righteousness and peace. This is the likely outcome as I give myself to God for Him to direct and guide me.

I remember that it is God Himself who is causing this work of growth in me. He may use human resources to achieve His ends. When this happens, I will do well to remember that God is at work. I may be tempted to strike out at human protagonists. How dare I be so dishonouring to God and His workers! No, I must remember that God is at work, and He will use whatever means He chooses.

I'm feeling rather encouraged as I write this. I'm not sure that I'd say, "Bring it on." But I am certainly optimistic, even excited at the thought that God loves me and thinks enough of me to bring correction when needed.



O Great God,
Today I see the value in Your disciplining of me. I may not be so positive when it actually occurs. Help me to remember that Your correction comes from Your love for me and Your desire for me to reflect Your will. I thank You, Lord.                     Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment