Friday 15 December 2017

Discipline

...because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son.                                                                                                                    Heb. 12.6


I have often heard the cry, "Why is God allowing this to happen to me?"

I wonder if "this" might be part of God's discipline! As God accepts me in sonship He wants certain things for me. He wants me to have good behaviour. He may wish to correct those aspects of my life and bearing that could be improved, and give better witness to my Christian faith. It is because of His great love for me that God will chasten me and bring correction to my faults.

And there may be times when I feel He is punishing me. Again, this is meant to bring correction, to lead me to become a person who can truly witness Jesus.

I may look differently on those times when I feel God is disciplining me, or even punishing me. If I can understand that He is growing me into the person He wants me to be, then I may more readily, and positively, respond to what I experience.

And God's discipline does not need to relate directly to the issue. I may have a moral problem which He will seek to address by exposing me to, say, a physical illness. Rather than question why it's happening, I can choose to say, "God, if You're using this affliction or incapacity to grow me or teach me, let me willingly give myself to Your instruction."
As I do this, I sense He is more able to achieve His purpose in me.



Lord,
I don't always understand the situations I experience. Forgive me when I blame You unjustly. Let me give myself willingly into Your instruction and guidance. I choose to do this. Take me, and have Your way in me.                Amen.







My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment